Friday, April 30, 2010

My-Oh Maya

Since I already did a post on the personal style of La Roux, it just didn't make sense to me that I hadn't yet dedicated one to the funky-fresh fashion message of Miss Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam, aka M.I.A.

Just like with La Roux's Elly Jackson, I am completely enamored with her work both as an artist and style icon.

And in an additional bit of artistic symmetry, this woman shares a major trait with the former:

That her music and style seem to be in perfect sync with one  another: two stems branching out from the same source.

In Maya's case, that source is slightly more feminine, and yet still, she always seems to be spittin' a message right into her critics' faces:

"Just watch me wear this shit."

...Well, what else can you do but obey?


 Things to Note:
1. Her love affair with vivid colors.
2. Two words: Holographic. Jumpsuit. (Okay, two more: I and died.)
4. Prints so busy you could burn a few calories just from the work-out they give your eyes.
5. Complete and total disregard for what's on-trend.


... Once again, I gotta give it up for a girl who has managed to establish a loud, unique voice for herself in the worlds of both music and fashion.

When Gaga "speaks," you can hear shades of Madonna and Grace Jones.

When Beyonce "talks," echoes of Whitney and Mariah are not far behind.

But when M.I.A. steps up, her voice blazes a trail left for others to follow.

... and there's just something to love about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment