Monday, March 8, 2010

Back to the Oscars...


 Continuing on:

 

Penelope Cruz opted for this crimson Donna Karan gown for the big night, and I can't say that I blame her.

The deep, rich tone of the fabric gave this look all the color it needed, making it perfectly fine for Penelope to go a little lax on the lipstick. 

(I think if she would have chosen a fuller shade on the lips, she might have looked like she was trying just a bit too hard.)

As it stands, this was pretty great in my eyes. 

The bodice detailing is lovely and Oscar-worthy, and while I do feel like I've seen this look at awards shows many, many times before, I can't really fault the gown for that. 

Judging it purely on it's own merits, this little Donna Karan number got the job done.


 
Speaking of "getting the job done," here's Kate Winslet in a dusty metallic Yves Saint Laurent dress.

It's not that I don't like this look, because there's very little going wrong here.

The bodice is pretty, the skirt is pretty, the hair is really pretty.

...But do you see the problem with that?

"Pretty, pretty, pretty."

It's just such a non-event of a dress. It basically shows up, makes it's wearer look great, and is on it's way. No real lasting impact.

For a "real-life" dress? Killer.

For an "Oscars Fashion Moment"? Killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment